Wednesday, May 9, 2012

I am leaving for Nicaragua (again!) in less than one week. I couldn't be more excited. I could probably be a little less stressed. There is a lot to do before traveling, especially to a place like Nicaragua, but I think I have it under control. Don't I always have things under control?
I chopped all my hair off for the trip.


So, what will I be doing in Nicaragua?
Well, I am going to be working with La Isla Foundation (laislafoundation.org). They are a non-profit NGO working to find a cause and a cure for Chronic Kidney Disease, in Nicaragua particularly, but it is prevalent all across Central America and other parts of the world.
I will be working as a part of a team at La Isla. It is supposed to be real world law experience, but we will see how it all pans out. I am sure I will learn a lot. I don't know how applicable it will be to US law, but I think the experience will be valuable nonetheless.


How long will I be in Nicaragua?
3 months. Yikes. I will be staying at La Isla Foundation because they have dorms. I thought about going back to my host family, but they have enough going on at their house with 3 generations living there (grandparents, parents and spouses, kids).


What else will I be doing?
Well, if I have enough money, I hope to do a little inter country traveling. I'd like to see Costa Rica. I'd really like to see Honduras, but given the situation there right now, I don't really think that's feasible or safe. Honestly, I really just want to go everywhere, see everything, and do as much as I can.
I will also still be working for JURIST (JURIST.org). I hope I can maintain the same level of work that I have been doing all year, but the internet situation in Nicaragua makes me a tad nervous. I think it should be fine. It's beyond my control, though.


Well, that pretty much sums it all up. Please send me your address if you want a postcard. And Skype me! I'm bringing a shitty little PC netbook (very sad to be parting ways with my MacBook for awhile), so I'll have access to email and Facebook and such.
Last but not least, if you have time and little bit of money, COME VISIT MEEEEEEEE!!!! I promise you will not be disappointed! Nicaragua is a beautiful country with wonderful people and it's amazingly cheap for US tourists.


Next time you hear from me, I'll be in Nicaragua! Chau!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Andrea! You too! Congrats on being done with school :-) Luckyyyyy!!!

    ReplyDelete